Agnes Scott College Campus
Agnes Scott College was established in 1889 with a distinctive mission: to educate women for the betterment of their families and the elevation of their region. Today, that mission has evolved into a commitment to educate women from around the world to “think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times.”
- 1910: The Andrew Carnegie Library was the College's first library building. A gift of Mr. Carnegie, it was on the southeast corner of the Woodruff Quad. That building was demolished in 1986, having served first as a library, then as a student center ("the Hub") after the new library was constructed.
- 1935: In May 1935, the College Board of Trustees authorized the construction of a new library.
- 1936: The new library opened in the fall of 1936. Still called the Carnegie Library, it consisted of 4 main floors, a grand reading room, and an attached "stack tower" of seven floors.
- 1951: The library was renamed for James Ross McCain on the occasion of his retirement as the second President of the College.