The name "Five Points" refers to the convergence of Marietta Street, Edgewood Avenue, Decatur Street, and two legs of Peachtree Street. As described above, the south-southwestern leg was originally Whitehall Street, before a section of Whitehall was renamed as an extension of Peachtree Street. This is, literally, where Atlanta began! Thrasherville, Atlanta's first settlement, was located a few thousand feet west of this intersection. The Zero Mile Post is located just a few thousand feet to the east. The monument in the middle of the intersection was erected to commemorate the location of an Artesian well and water storage tank that were located here. The well was drilled in 1884 and was utilized until 1893. Please refer to the Interactive Map for details on the buildings and historic markers located in this area.
Historic buildings at this intersection include the Olympia and William-Oliver. Former buildings that were located here include Jacob's Pharmacy, the Kimball House Hotel, Atlanta's first Post Office and Thomas Kile's Store. The latter, located on the NW corner of this intersection (Kile's Corner) was [according to this plaque on the William-Oliver Building] the site of the City's first election, which was held on January 29, 1848.