Did you know that there's a street in Atlanta named, "Stephen Long Drive?" See if you can figure out which neighborhood it's in.
Historical Timeline of Atlanta
- 1733, James Oglethorpe lands in Savannah establishing Georgia, the 13th British Colony
- 1830s, Railroads begin to appear in Georgia
- 1836, Georgia legislature approves construction of state-owned "Western & Atlantic Railroad" to give the Port of Savannah "inland reach" to the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys
- 1837, Stephen Harriman Long defines the 138-mile route and starting point (terminus)
- 1842, Location of terminus moved about 1,200 feet to this location
- 1843, Marthasville incorporated
- 1847, City of Atlanta incorporated
- 1850, Zero Mile Post (granite marker) placed at this location
- 2018, ZMP relocated to Atlanta History Center (see photo below)
Peachtree Street Walking Tour created by ATLsherpa
Helping you connect with ATL's past, present and future. Stay curious and keep exploring!
Story of the Zero Mile Post
The Zero Milepost stands as a reminder of the early railroad days and the birth of the city of Atlanta. This stone milepost marks the southeastern terminus of the Western and Atlantic Railroad. It was this railroad that provided the impetus for the beginning and subsequent growth of the city of Atlanta and marks the center of the city from which the Atlanta city limits were measured. The rectangular, stone marker measures approximately one foot wide on each side and 42 inches tall. The crown is pyramidal and the inscription "W & A RR 138" is roughly carved into one side and "W & A RR OO" on another. The Western and Atlantic Railroad was established by the State legislature after another rail line connecting Charleston to Cincinnati bypassed the State, and went through Tennessee instead. A convention was held and it was decided that the State of Georgia would build its own railroad through the center of the State and allow private branch lines to join with it. When the legislature met in November of 1836, a bill to construct a railroad at State expense was introduced and passed 76 to 65. No specific locations for terminal points were named but generally they were to be on the Tennessee line near the Tennessee River at or near Rossville and then in a direct route to the southeastern bank of the Chattahoochee River.
Colonel Stephen Harriman Long was hired to survey and build the road on May 12, 1837. After several earlier moves it was decided that the line should extend south of the river to provide a better location for lines to Athens, Madison, Milledgeville and Forsyth. The location was changed in 1837 to land Lot 78, District 14, DeKalb County (between the present Forsyth and Magnolia streets). After construction began in 1838, discussion continued on the location of the southeastern terminus. Then, in 1842, a new and final point was established, only 1200 feet from the previous point, in the northeast corner of Land Lot 77, 14th District, DeKalb (later Fulton) County. This point was located at Loyd Street, now Central Avenue, between Alabama and Decatur streets from surveys by C.F.M. Garett and F.C. Arms. A five-acre tract including the point was donated to the State by Samuel Mitchell in 1842 which allowed for the construction of the depot buildings. In 1850 the zero milepost was placed at this location. From this small, struggling railroad town has grown one of the largest metropolitan cities in the country. ~ Source: U.S. National Park Service
Here's what the Zero Mile Post looks like today at its new home in the Atlanta History Center...